Having to pay for overpriced insurance in Honolulu can draw down your personal savings and make it tough to pay other bills.
It's shocking but most insurance buyers in Hawaii have stayed with the same insurance company for well over three years, and 38% of customers have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. Drivers in the United States could save themselves almost $859 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but most undervalue the amount of money they would save if they bought a different policy.
Since you have so many companies and agents to choose from, it is very difficult to locate the most affordable insurance company.
Smart consumers take time to quote other rates periodically because prices tend to go up over time. Even if you think you had the lowest rates on Acura RDX insurance in Honolulu a few years ago you may be paying too much now. Forget all the misinformation about insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to the fastest and easiest way to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
Why Smart Consumers Pay Less for Acura RDX Insurance
When buying auto insurance it's important to understand some of the factors that help calculate the level of your policy premiums. If you understand what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make good choices that can earn you cheaper rates. Many different elements are considered when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, but other criteria are more transparent such as your marital status or how safe your car is.
The list below includes some of the most rate-impacting factors used by companies to determine your rate level.
Save by driving cars with good safety ratings - Safer cars can get you lower premiums. Safer cars reduce injuries and fewer serious injuries means your insurance company pays less and cheaper rates on your policy. If the Acura RDX has ratings of a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov you may qualify for a discount.
Accidents hurt - How you drive impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Careful drivers get better rates than bad drivers. Even a single ticket can increase rates twenty percent or more. People who have multiple tickets such as reckless driving or DUI may need to maintain a SR-22 with their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
Influences performance influences auto insurance costs - The performance of the car or truck you drive makes a big difference in determining your rates. Since the Acura RDX falls in the luxury crossover class, rates will be substantially more when compared to the average rates in Honolulu. Economy passenger vehicles generally receive the lowest base rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
Annual miles is a factor - Driving more miles annually the more you'll pay to insure it. Many insurance companies calculate prices based on their usage. Autos used primarily for pleasure use receive better premium rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. An incorrectly rated RDX may be costing you higher rates. It's a good idea to make sure your auto insurance policy states the right rating data.
Insurance claims cost money - Insurance companies in Hawaii provide cheaper rates to people who file claims infrequently. If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can definitely plan on either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Your insurance policy is intended for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Extra policy coverages that may not be needed - There are a lot of extra coverages that you can get tricked into buying if you aren't careful. Coverage for things like roadside assistance, better glass coverage, and membership fees may be wasting your money. They may sound like good ideas at first, but now you might not need them so eliminate them to save money.
Loss probability for an Acura RDX - Insurers analyze claim trends for every vehicle to help set a rate to offset losses. Vehicles that the data determines to have higher loss trends will have higher rates. The table below illustrates the actual insurance loss data for Acura RDX vehicles.
For each coverage type, the loss probablilty for all vehiclescombined as an average is set at 100. Numbers below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while percentage values above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Acura RDX Insurance Claim Statistics
|Specific Acura Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Acura RDX 4dr 2WD||64||75||57||67||67||71|
|Acura RDX 4dr 4WD||68||79||79||68||66||60|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
The quickest way to compare insurance rates from multiple companies utilizes the fact all the major auto insurance companies actually pay money for the chance to compare their rates. The only thing you need to do is spend a couple of minutes providing details including the type of vehicles you drive, if you are currently licensed, if the car is leased, and if a SR-22 is needed. Your information is then sent to many of the top insurers and you should receive rate quotes with very little delay.
To start a quote now, click here and enter your zip code.
The following companies provide comparison quotes in Honolulu, HI. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you click on several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|RDX Technology Package 2WD||$122||$250||$236||$14||$70||$692||$58|
|RDX Technology Package AWD||$162||$338||$254||$16||$76||$846||$71|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner. Premium amounts do not factor in specific Honolulu garaging location which can increase or decrease prices considerably.
Accidents and violations increase rates
The chart below illustrates how violations and accidents can increase Acura RDX insurance costs for each age group. The prices are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Choosing vehicle insurance is an important decision
Despite the high cost, insurance is mandatory in Hawaii but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability in order to license the vehicle. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your RDX, it's most likely the lender will require you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may insure your Acura for a much higher rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your Acura RDX but also your financial assets. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you have damage to your Acura as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly if you ever have a claim. Unknowingly, the average driver overpays more than $800 each year so you should quote and compare rates every year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Determine discounts on Honolulu auto insurance
Auto insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but there could be significant discounts to cut the cost considerably. Many discounts should be triggered when you quote, but once in a while a discount must be manually applied prior to receiving the credit.
- Early Signing - Select companies give a discount for signing up prior to your current RDX insurance policy expiration. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may get savings of 25 to 30%.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers - Drivers who don't get into accidents could pay up to 40% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Maintaining low annual mileage can earn slightly better premium rates than normal.
- No Claim Discounts - Drivers who don't have accidents can earn big discounts compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Smart Student Discounts - Getting good grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
It's important to note that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don't profit that way. Any amount of discount will help reduce your overall bill.
A few popular companies and their offered discounts are shown below.
- State Farm may offer discounts for student away at school, driver's education, good student, good driver, multiple autos, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including multi-vehicle, good student, membership and employees, driver training, anti-theft, and five-year accident-free.
- Progressive may have discounts that include good student, online signing, online quote discount, homeowner, continuous coverage, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- 21st Century discounts include homeowners, early bird, automatic seat belts, driver training, student driver, air bags, and teen driver.
- American Family may include discounts for good driver, early bird, good student, mySafetyValet, and air bags.
- The Hartford has discounts for air bag, good student, bundle, defensive driver, anti-theft, and vehicle fuel type.
- AAA includes discounts for good driver, AAA membership discount, pay-in-full, multi-car, education and occupation, and anti-theft.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every insurance company the best way to save money. Savings might not be offered on policies in Honolulu. To choose auto insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Honolulu, click here to view.
Compare prices but buy from a local neighborhood Honolulu car insurance agent
Many people just prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find lower prices and also buy local.
After filling out this short form, your insurance data gets sent to local insurance agents in Honolulu who can give free rate quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to search for an agent because quoted prices will be sent to your email. It's the lowest rates without a big time investment. If for some reason you want to compare prices from a specific company, don't hesitate to visit that company's website and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right insurer requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Is there a local claims center in Honolulu?
What type of Honolulu auto insurance agent is right for you?
When searching for a reliable insurance agent, it's important to understand the types of insurance agents and how they function. Agents are considered either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Exclusive insurance agents can only place business with one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. They generally cannot compare other company's rates so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive agents are well schooled on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Shown below are Honolulu exclusive insurance agencies willing to provide price quote information.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent are not employed by any specific company and that gives them the ability to insure with multiple insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. If they find a cheaper price, your policy is moved internally and you don't have to find a new agent. If you need cheaper insurance rates, we recommend you get rate quotes from at least one independent agent in order to have the best price comparison.
Shown below are independent insurance agents in Honolulu that are able to give price quotes.
A conclusion for your car insurance search
While you're price shopping online, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many instances, an insured dropped liability coverage limits only to regret they didn't have enough coverage. Your objective should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
You just learned some good ideas how you can reduce Acura RDX insurance premium rates online in Honolulu. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the better likelihood of getting cheaper Honolulu car insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest premium rates are with a lesser-known regional company. These companies may only write in your state and offer lower prices as compared to the big name companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
More tips and info about car insurance is available in these articles:
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)