Would you like to buy lower-priced Kia Sportage insurance in Honolulu? Car owners who just recently started comparing insurance coverage quotes on the internet could find sourcing the cheapest Kia Sportage insurance in Honolulu can be quite difficult.
It's hard to believe, but a large majority of drivers kept their policy with the same company for more than four years, and almost half have never quoted rates to find affordable coverage. With the average car insurance premium being $1,000, Honolulu drivers could save $360 a year just by shopping around, but they just don't understand how easy it is to shop their coverage around.
It's a great practice to price shop coverage as often as possible because rates change frequently. Even if you think you had the lowest rate on Kia Sportage insurance in Honolulu on your last policy you may be paying too much now. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because I'm going to teach you the best methods to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
Affordable companies for Kia Sportage insurance
The providers in the list below provide free rate quotes in Honolulu, HI. If the list has multiple companies, it's highly recommended you visit several of them to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sportage LX 2WD 4-Dr||$140||$258||$344||$20||$104||$866||$72|
|Sportage LX 2WD 4-Dr||$152||$280||$248||$14||$74||$768||$64|
|Sportage EX 2WD 4-Dr||$176||$338||$300||$18||$90||$922||$77|
|Sportage LX 4WD 4-Dr||$108||$224||$300||$18||$90||$740||$62|
|Sportage EX 4WD 4-Dr||$218||$464||$344||$20||$104||$1,150||$96|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, and homeowner. Premium amounts do not factor in specific location which can increase or decrease auto insurance rates greatly.
Kia Sportage liability rates compared to full coverage
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Kia Sportage premium costs with full coverage compared to only the Hawaii minimum liability coverage. The data assumes no violations or accidents, $100 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no clear-cut formula that works best for making the decision to drop comp and collision coverage, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost of full coverage is 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Kia Sportage claim settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, you would only receive $5,000 after the deductible is paid. If it's costing in excess of $500 a year to have full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some scenarios where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should maintain full coverage.
Driving violations and accidents
The example below demonstrates how speeding tickets and accident claims can increase Kia Sportage insurance premiums for each age group. The price estimates are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Auto insurance discounts help lower rates for Kia Sportage insurance in Honolulu
Car insurance companies don't always publicize the entire discount list in a way that's easy to find, so the following list contains both the well known and also the more inconspicuous credits available to bring down your rates.
- Driver Training Discounts - Taking time to complete a course in defensive driver is a good idea and can lower rates and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Home Ownership Discount - Just owning your own home can get you a discount because of the fact that having a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars and trucks equipped with ABS or steering control have fewer accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Anti-theft Discount - Cars equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and will save you 10% or more on Sportage insurance in Honolulu.
- Senior Citizen Rates - Drivers that qualify as senior citizens could receive better auto insurance rates.
It's important to note that most credits do not apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies don't profit that way.
Companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are included below.
- State Farm has savings for safe vehicle, Steer Clear safe driver discount, good driver, student away at school, accident-free, and passive restraint.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, online quote discount, online signing, homeowner, and good student.
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-vehicle, multi-policy, good student, online quote discount, online signing, and continuous coverage.
- MetLife may offer discounts for defensive driver, accident-free, good student, good driver, claim-free, multi-policy
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include 55 and retired, safe driver, good student, renewal discount, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for military active duty, multi-vehicle, driver training, defensive driver, seat belt use, five-year accident-free, and anti-theft.
- SAFECO offers discounts for multi-car, teen safe driver, homeowner, teen safety rewards, drive less, safe driver, and anti-lock brakes.
Before buying, ask each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered on policies in your area. To choose providers that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Honolulu, click here to view.
Choices You Make Can Impact Your Insurance Prices
It's important that you understand some of the things that help calculate the rates you pay for car insurance. When you understand what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make good choices that could result in cheaper rates. Many factors are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but other criteria are not as apparent such as your credit history and annual miles driven.
- Discounts for married couples - Your spouse may save some money when shopping for car insurance. It may mean you are more stable financially and insurance companies like that married couples file fewer claims.
- Job stress can make you pay more - Did you know your car insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations such as real estate brokers, police officers, and accountants have higher average rates due to stressful work requirements and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, jobs like scientists, historians and homemakers generally pay rates lower than average.
- Put fewer miles on your vehicle - Driving a lot of miles in a year's time the higher the price you pay to insure it. The majority of insurers charge rates based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks that are left in the garage qualify for better rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Verify your declarations sheet is rated on the correct usage for each vehicle, because it can save money. Incorrect rating for your Sportage may be wasting your money.
- See if your company offers a multi-policy discount - Most major car insurance companies will give a discount to people who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you already get this discount, it's always a smart idea to check prices from other companies to guarantee you are still saving the most.
- Raise your deductibles for better premiums - Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles define the amount the insured will be required to pay in the event of a claim. Physical damage protection, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some examples of covered claims are a windshield broken by a bird, fire damage, and damage from wind. The larger the amount you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the lower your rates will be.
- Claim-free discounts can add up - If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can look forward to much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Insurance companies in Hawaii award discounts to policyholders who are not frequent claim filers. Insurance coverage is intended for more catestrophic claims.
- Poor credit rating equals high premiums - Credit score factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. Consumers who have very high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims than drivers with lower ratings. If your credit is not that good, you could pay less to insure your Kia Sportage by repairing your credit.
- Safety first - Vehicles with high crash test scores can get you lower premiums. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce injuries and reduced instances of injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims which can result in lower premiums.
- Insurance losses for a Kia Sportage - Insurance companies use past loss statistics for each vehicle as a tool for profitable underwriting. Models that the data determines to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will have increased rates. The data below shows the insurance loss data used by companies for Kia Sportage vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the loss probablilty for all vehicles as a whole equals 100. Percentage values below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while percentages above 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Kia Sportage Models
Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Kia Sportage 4dr 2WD 82 100 66 113 127 109 Kia Sportage 4dr 4WD 90 100 83 116 108 101
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Compare rates but still have a local Honolulu insurance agency
Many drivers still prefer to go talk to an agent and that is a personal choice. One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is that you can find better rates and also buy local.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), the quote information gets sent to participating agents in Honolulu who will give you quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered instantly to you. Get lower rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you have a need to compare prices from a specific insurance company, feel free to visit that company's website and submit a quote form there.
Choosing an company requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. These questions are important to ask:
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
If you want to buy car insurance from a reliable agent, it helps to know the two different types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents can either be independent agents or exclusive agents.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can only quote rates from one company and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. They generally cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled in insurance sales which can be an advantage. Some people will only use the same agent mostly because of the prominence of the brand and strong financial ratings.
The following are exclusive insurance agencies in Honolulu that can give you price quotes.
- Herb Fujikawa - State Farm Insurance Agent
3538 Waialae Ave #205 - Honolulu, HI 96816 - (808) 732-1076 - View Map
- Jef Saragena - State Farm Insurance Agent
677 Ala Moana Blvd Ste 310 - Honolulu, HI 96813 - (808) 951-0866 - View Map
- Ryan Miyashita - State Farm Insurance Agent
1580 Makaloa St #102 - Honolulu, HI 96814 - (808) 945-0802 - View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents do not work for one specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies and get you the best rates possible. If you are not satisfied with one company, your agent can just switch to a different company and you stay with the same agent.
If you need cheaper car insurance rates, it's a good idea to get quotes from multiple independent agents in order to compare the most rates. A lot of them also have access to different regional companies which may provide better rates.
Listed below are independent agencies in Honolulu that are able to give price quote information.
- Dongbu Insurance
1440 Kapiolani Blvd # 950 - Honolulu, HI 96814 - (808) 942-5353 - View Map
- Pyramid Insurance Center Ltd
420 Waiakamilo Rd - Honolulu, HI 96817 - (808) 527-7667 - View Map
- Cavanah Associates, Inc.
1100 Alakea St #2600 - Honolulu, HI 96813 - (808) 537-1970 - View Map
Truth in car insurance advertising
Car insurance providers like GEICO, State Farm and Progressive endlessly run ads in print and on television. All the companies make the same claim about saving some big amount after switching your coverage to them. How is it possible that every company can lower your rates?
Different companies have a certain "appetite" for the type of driver they prefer to insure. An example of this type of driver may need to be over the age of 50, has had continuous coverage, and drives a lower-performance vehicle. Any customer that fits those parameters will get very good Honolulu auto insurance rates and will probably cut their rates substantially.
Drivers who may not quite match these stringent criteria will have to pay higher rates which usually ends up with business going elsewhere. The ad wording is "customers who switch" but not "all drivers who get quotes" save that much. That's why insurance companies can confidently state the savings. Because of the profiling, drivers should get price quotes at each policy renewal. It's just not possible to know with any certainty which company will provide the lowest Kia Sportage insurance in Honolulu.
Compare but don't skimp
Insureds who switch companies do it for many reasons like delays in paying claims, high rates after DUI convictions, denial of a claim or even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new insurance company is actually quite simple.
Cheaper insurance in Honolulu is available from both online companies and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies may not provide online quoting and many times these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent insurance agencies.
We just presented a lot of information how to shop for Kia Sportage insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from some of the lesser-known companies.
More tips and info about insurance can be found in the articles below: