Has it been over a year since you last compared quotes for the cheapest Subaru Forester insurance in Honolulu? Sick and tired of paying out the nose to buy auto insurance? You are no different than many other Hawaii drivers.
A recent survey discovered that most auto insurance policyholders in Hawaii kept their policy with the same company for four years or more, and roughly 40% of drivers have never even compared rates from other companies. American insurance shoppers can save hundreds of dollars each year just by comparing rates, but they don't want to take the time to find affordable auto insurance rates. Big-name insurance companies like State Farm, Progressive and GEICO constantly blast consumers with ad campaigns and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the flashy ads and take the time to shop coverage around.
It's a good idea to compare prices before your policy renews since prices are constantly changing. If you had the lowest rates on Subaru Forester insurance in Honolulu a couple years back you will most likely find a better premium rate today. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you're about to find out one of the best ways to find great coverage at a great price.
Slash rates with these eight rate reducing discounts
Auto insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but there may be some discounts that may help make it more affordable. Many discounts should be triggered at the time you complete a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be specially asked for before being credited.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off but check with your company.
- Clubs and Organizations - Belonging to a civic or occupational organization in Honolulu is a simple method to lower premiums when shopping for auto insurance.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Cars and trucks that have steering control and anti-lock brakes have fewer accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Defensive Driver - Taking part in a safe driver course can save you 5% or more and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Full Payment Discount - If you pay your bill all at once instead of making monthly payments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Sign Early and Save - Some companies reward drivers for switching policies prior to your current Forester insurance policy expiration. It's a savings of about 10%.
- One Accident Forgiven - This one is not really a discount per se, but companies like Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm will let one accident slide without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Driver's Education for Students - It's a good idea to have your young drivers complete a driver education course if it's offered in school.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don't profit that way.
A few popular companies and their offered discounts include:
- 21st Century may include discounts for driver training, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, student driver, and teen driver.
- State Farm discounts include multiple policy, multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, safe vehicle, and good student.
- AAA may have discounts that include multi-car, good driver, anti-theft, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, good student, and pay-in-full.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including multi-policy, newly retired, new move discount, new graduate, and multi-car.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including continuous coverage, multi-policy, good student, online signing, and homeowner.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company which credits you are entitled to. Savings might not apply in Honolulu. To choose companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Hawaii, click this link.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Hawaii. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you visit several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Forester X AWD||$252||$474||$272||$16||$82||$1,096||$91|
|Forester X Premium AWD||$264||$344||$294||$18||$88||$1,008||$84|
|Forester X Premium AWP AWD||$252||$474||$272||$16||$82||$1,096||$91|
|Forester X Limited Edition AWD||$250||$338||$230||$14||$68||$900||$75|
|Forester X Limited Edition W/Navigation AWD||$246||$476||$254||$16||$76||$1,068||$89|
|Forester XT AWD||$326||$484||$294||$18||$88||$1,210||$101|
|Forester XT Limited Edition AWD||$122||$212||$212||$12||$64||$622||$52|
|Forester XT Limited Edition W/Navigation AWD||$246||$458||$292||$18||$88||$1,102||$92|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, and safe-driver. Estimates do not factor in specific Honolulu garaging location which can decrease or increase premiums greatly.
Gender-based car insurance rates by age in Honolulu
The diagram below shows the comparison of Subaru Forester yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers. The premium estimates are based on a clean driving record, no claims, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to talk to an insurance agent
A lot of people would rather buy from a local agent and that is just fine! Agents can point out coverage gaps and give you someone to call. One of the benefits of comparing rates online is you can get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying insurance from small agencies is especially important in Honolulu.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, the quote information is sent to companies in Honolulu that give free quotes for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to find an agent as quotes are delivered to you. If for some reason you want to compare prices from a particular provider, you would need to go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Finding a good company shouldn't rely on just the bottom line cost. The following questions are important to ask.
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
Information about specific coverages
Knowing the specifics of a auto insurance policy can be of help when determining the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring. These are the usual coverages available from auto insurance companies.
Collision - This pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as damaging your car on a curb, scraping a guard rail, hitting a parking meter, crashing into a building and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. It's also possible to increase the deductible on your Forester to save money on collision insurance.
Medical payments and PIP coverage - Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for bills such as prosthetic devices, rehabilitation expenses and surgery. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Liability insurance - This can cover damage or injury you incur to other's property or people by causing an accident. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see limits of 20/40/10 that translate to $20,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $40,000, and $10,000 of coverage for damaged propery. Another option is a combined limit which provides one coverage limit without having the split limit caps.
Liability can pay for claims such as court costs, medical expenses and attorney fees. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford. Hawaii state minimum liability requirements are 20/40/10 but you should think about purchasing more coverage.
Comprehensive auto coverage - This pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for claims such as rock chips in glass, hail damage, damage from flooding and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage - Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle when the "other guys" do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Subaru Forester.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (20/40/10 in Hawaii), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea. Most of the time the UM/UIM limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
One last thing to lower rates
Lower-priced auto insurance in Honolulu is possible both online as well as from independent agents in Honolulu, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. Some companies do not provide online price quotes and usually these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are too many instances where an insured cut liability coverage limits and learned later that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The aim is to get the best coverage possible at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.
You just read some good ideas how you can shop for Subaru Forester insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the better chance you'll have of finding inexpensive Honolulu car insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest priced auto insurance comes from an unexpected company. Regional companies may only write in your state and offer lower prices as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
Even more information can be read in the articles below:
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)