How many times have you told yourself to find lower-priced Subaru Impreza insurance in Honolulu? Overpriced car insurance in Honolulu can empty your personal savings and maybe even restrict other spending.
It's hard to believe, but nearly 70% of drivers have stayed with the same insurance company for over three years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never compared car insurance rates at all. Honolulu drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing quotes, but they don't want to take the time to compare rates. Insurance companies such as Progressive, State Farm and GEICO promote their brand names with fancy advertisements and it can be hard to see through the deception and find the best price available.
If you're already insured or just want cheaper coverage, you can follow these tips to find better prices and possibly find even better coverage. Buying the cheapest auto insurance in Honolulu is easy if you know what you're doing. Comparison shoppers just need to learn the quickest method to compare rate quotes on the web.
Best companies for Subaru Impreza insurance
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Honolulu, HI. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Impreza 2.5I 4WD Station Wagon||$108||$174||$300||$18||$90||$690||$58|
|Impreza 2.5I 4WD Station Wagon||$176||$280||$248||$14||$74||$792||$66|
|Impreza Outback Sport 4WD Station Wagon||$160||$292||$254||$16||$76||$798||$67|
|Impreza 2.5I AWD 4-Dr||$224||$338||$270||$16||$80||$928||$77|
|Impreza 2.5I Premium Package AWD 4-Dr||$226||$468||$320||$18||$96||$1,128||$94|
|Impreza WRX 4WD Station Wagon||$224||$398||$270||$16||$80||$988||$82|
|Impreza 2.5 GT 4WD Station Wagon||$250||$398||$270||$16||$80||$1,014||$85|
|Impreza WRX AWD 4-Dr||$156||$338||$320||$18||$96||$928||$77|
|Impreza 2.5I GT AWD 4-Dr||$182||$294||$346||$20||$104||$946||$79|
|Impreza WRX STI 4WD Station Wagon||$180||$388||$300||$18||$90||$976||$81|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Rate quotes do not factor in Honolulu location which can increase or decrease prices considerably.
Does it make sense to buy full coverage?
The illustration below examines Subaru Impreza annual premium costs with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The premium estimates are based on no claims, a clean driving record, $250 deductibles, single female driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to eliminate full coverage
There is no definitive guideline to stop paying for full coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than about 10% of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Subaru Impreza claim settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $6,000 after paying your policy deductible. If premium cost is more than $600 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some cases where eliminating full coverage is not advised. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to keep full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Get Cheap Insurance Costs by Understanding These Factors
Many factors are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, but some are not quite as obvious like your vehicle usage or how safe your car is. One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the elements that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. When consumers understand what impacts premium levels, this enables informed choices that may result in better car insurance rates.
- Vocation and insurance rates - Jobs such as doctors, executives and financial analysts generally pay the highest average rates attributed to intense work situations and lengthy work days. Other occupations such as scientists, engineers and performers receive lower rates.
- Liability safeguards assets - Liability insurance will protect you when you are found liable for damages caused by your negligence. It provides you with a defense in court up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- High insurance claims frequency drives up premiums - If you're an insured who likes to file claims you can look forward to either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Car insurance companies in Hawaii award the lowest premiums to insureds who file claims infrequently. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
- Having a spouse is a good thing - Being married can get you a discount on your policy. Having a spouse translates into being more mature and responsible and it's statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Guys pay higher prices - The statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. This data doesn't prove that females are better at driving than males. Both sexes have accidents in similar percentages, but the men get into accidents with more damage. Men also have more aggressive citations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving.
- Incidental coverages are wasting money - Insurance policies have a lot of add-on coverages that sound like a good idea at the time when buying car insurance. Coverages like vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness, and Farm Bureau memberships may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may sound like good ideas when talking to your agent, but your needs may have changed so get rid of them and save.
- What type of vehicle do you drive? - The type of vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in your premium level. Since the Subaru Impreza is considered a sport coupe, insuring your vehicle will cost much more than the average rate where you live in Honolulu. Low performance passenger cars usually have the lowest premiums, but that's not the only thing that factors into the final price.
- Expect high rates for teens - Beginning drivers in Hawaii have a tendency to be easily distracted in a vehicle and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher. Adding a teen driver to your car insurance policy can break the bank. Older people are more cautious drivers, tend to file fewer claims, and usually have better credit.
- Subaru Impreza claim statistics - Companies use historical loss data to help determine the price you pay. Vehicles that historically have a higher amount or frequency of claims will cost more for specific coverages. The table below demonstrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Subaru Impreza vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is considered to be 100. Values under 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while values that are above 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or statistically larger claims.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Subaru Impreza Vehicles
Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Subaru Impreza 4WD 96 80 110 79 78 81
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Get cheaper Subaru Impreza insurance rates in Honolulu
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there may be some discounts that can help lower your rates. Some trigger automatically at the time you complete a quote, but occasionally some discounts must be inquired about before you get the savings.
- Active Military Service - Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Own a Home - Owning a house in Honolulu may trigger a policy discount on auto insurance because it is proof that your finances are in order.
- Discount for New Cars - Buying insurance on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less because newer models have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Claim Free - Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can save substantially compared to bad drivers.
- Theft Deterrent - Cars, trucks, and SUVs optioned with advanced anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and earn discounts up to 10% off your Honolulu car insurance quote.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your company.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Honolulu drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to analyze when and where they use their vehicle by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - By making one initial payment rather than spreading payments over time you can avoid monthly service charges.
Remember that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though it sounds like you could get a free auto insurance policy, you won't be that lucky.
A list of companies and their offered discounts include:
- American Family discounts include good driver, mySafetyValet, TimeAway discount, accident-free, early bird, air bags, and Steer into Savings.
- State Farm may include discounts for anti-theft, accident-free, passive restraint, safe vehicle, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and multiple autos.
- 21st Century includes discounts for good student, driver training, defensive driver, theft prevention, automatic seat belts, teen driver, and homeowners.
- Travelers offers discounts including continuous insurance, payment discounts, IntelliDrive, good student, and save driver.
- GEICO may offer discounts for anti-theft, military active duty, driver training, daytime running lights, and air bags.
It's a good idea to ask all companies you are considering which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts might not be offered on policies everywhere. For a list of providers offering auto insurance discounts in Honolulu, follow this link.
Auto insurance agents near you
Certain consumers still like to get advice from a local agent. Good insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and give you someone to call. A nice benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you may find better rates and still choose a local agent.
Upon completion of this quick form, the coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Honolulu who will give you bids to get your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to drive around because prices are sent immediately to you. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you can always navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding a good insurance company shouldn't rely on just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Honolulu?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Honolulu?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- How many companies do they write for?
When finding a local Honolulu insurance agency, it's important to understand the types of agencies and how they function. Agencies in Honolulu can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Both types of agents can do a good job, but it's important to point out the subtle differences since it can affect the selection process.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type can usually just insure with one company such as State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. These agents are not able to compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. These agents are well schooled on what they offer which aids in selling service over price.
The following are Honolulu exclusive insurance agencies who can help you get rate quotes.
Herb Fujikawa - State Farm Insurance Agent
3538 Waialae Ave #205 - Honolulu, HI 96816 - (808) 732-1076 - View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These type of agents often have many company appointments and that enables them to quote your coverage with many different companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally which is easy for the insured.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, you will want to get several quotes from several independent insurance agents to maximize your price options.
Below are independent agents in Honolulu that are able to give rate quotes.
Save $405 a year? Really?
Consumers in Hawaii can't avoid all the ads for insurance savings from companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. They all seem to have a common claim of big savings if you move to them.
How is it possible that every company can charge you a lower premium? It's all in the words they use.
Many companies have specific criteria for the type of insured that makes them money. For instance, a profitable risk profile might be described as a married female, has a clean driving record, and drives a safe vehicle. A customer getting a price quote that fits those parameters is entitled to the best price and as a result will probably pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Potential customers who don't qualify for these standards will get higher prices which translates to the customer not buying. If you listen closely, the ads state "drivers who switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" save that much money. That's why companies can make claims that they all have the best rates. This emphasizes why you should get as many free Honolulu car insurance quotes as possible. It's impossible to know which insurance company will fit you best based on your risk profile.
When to get professional advice
When quoting and comparing coverage, there isn't really a "perfect" insurance plan. Your situation is unique and your auto insurance should be unique as well. These are some specific questions can aid in determining if your insurance needs may require specific advice.
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Am I covered if I hit a deer?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- What is the ISO rating for a Subaru Impreza?
If you're not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an agent. If you don't have a local agent, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Shop around and save
We've covered a lot of techniques to save on Subaru Impreza insurance in Honolulu. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the best price on insurance is with a lesser-known regional company. Smaller companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates than their larger competitors like Allstate or State Farm.
Cost effective Subaru Impreza insurance can be purchased both online in addition to many Honolulu insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who do not offer the ability to get a quote online and these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through independent agencies.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage only to regret that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to find the BEST coverage for the lowest cost while still protecting your assets.
To learn more, take a look at the following helpful articles: