Nobody I know is fond of buying car insurance, especially when they know the cost is too high.
Regrettably, the vast majority of Hawaii car insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for four years or more, and roughly 40% of drivers have never taken the time to shop around. Many consumers in the U.S. could cut their rates by 47% a year just by shopping around, but they mistakenly think it's difficult to save money by comparing rate quotes.
Insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO and Farmers Insurance promote their brand names with catchy ads and it is difficult to ignore the promise of big savings and take the time to shop coverage around.
You should make it a habit to compare prices on a regular basis since insurance prices are constantly changing. Even if you think you had the best deal on Volvo XC60 insurance in Honolulu two years ago a different company probably has better rate quotes today. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because it's time to teach you the proper way to find lower rates on car insurance.
Honolulu car insurance discounts
Companies don't necessarily list their entire list of discounts very well, so the list below details some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Honolulu car insurance online.
- Federal Government Employee - Employees or retirees of the government may reduce rates when you quote Honolulu car insurance with certain companies.
- No Accidents - Honolulu drivers who stay claim-free can earn big discounts as opposed to accident-prone drivers.
- Active Military Service - Being on active deployment in the military could qualify you for better premium rates.
- 55 and Retired - Older drivers can get a slight reduction on a Honolulu car insurance quote.
- Telematics Data - Honolulu drivers who agree to allow data collection to monitor driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive's Snapshot may see discounts if they are good drivers.
- Defensive Driving Course - Taking time to complete a course in safe driver is a good idea and can lower rates and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Factory options such as air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may earn rate discounts as much as 30%.
- College Student Discount - Older children who live away from home at college and leave their car at home could qualify for this discount.
- One Accident Forgiven - Not a discount per se, but some insurance companies allow you one accident before raising your premiums if your claims history is clear for a specific time period.
Don't be shocked that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn't make money that way. But all discounts should help lower the cost of your policy.
If you would like to see a list of providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Honolulu, click here to view.
When looking for cheaper Honolulu car insurance quotes, there are a couple ways of comparing rate quotes from local Honolulu insurance companies. The easiest way by far to lower the rate you pay for Volvo XC60 insurance involves getting comparison quotes online.
Comparing free price quotes online is easy and it, takes the place of having to drive to each insurance agency near you. Quoting Volvo XC60 insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you require the trained guidance that you can only get from talking to an agent. Although you can get the lowest quotes online and get advice from an agent in your area.
When comparing insurance rates, know that quoting more helps you find a lower rate. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide online price quotes, so it's important to also get rates from those companies as well.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free quotes in Honolulu, HI. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|XC60 3.2 2WD||$142||$272||$236||$14||$70||$734||$61|
|XC60 3.2 AWD||$222||$404||$254||$16||$76||$972||$81|
|XC60 T6 AWD AWD||$200||$412||$216||$12||$64||$904||$75|
|XC60 T6-R AWD AWD||$182||$256||$294||$18||$88||$838||$70|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, and homeowner. Table data does not factor in specific garaging location which can modify premium rates considerably.
Rate comparison of males versus females
The example below visualizes the comparison of Volvo XC60 auto insurance rates for male and female drivers. The rate quotes are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are factored in.
How Insurers Calculate Volvo XC60 Insurance Prices
Many things are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, although some other factors are not as apparent such as your credit history or your financial responsibility.
The factors shown below are some of the items companies use to determine premiums.
GPS tracking and theft deterrents lower prices - Choosing a vehicle with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Advanced theft deterrents such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems all hinder car theft and help bring rates down.
Credit history impacts premiums - An insured's credit score is a large factor in determining what you pay. People with good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower credit scores. If your credit history leaves room for improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your Volvo XC60 by taking the time to improve your credit score.
Little extras can really add up - There are a ton of additional coverages you can purchase on your XC60 policy. Insurance for things like rental car coverage, accident forgiveness, and Farm Bureau memberships could be just wasting money. These coverages may sound good when you first buy your policy, but if they're wasting money remove them from your policy.
Premiums are impacted by vehicle performance - The make and model of the car you need to insure makes a huge difference in your auto insurance rates. The cheapest insurance rates will generally be found on economy passenger vehicles, but other factors influence the final cost greatly. Due to the fact that the Volvo XC60 falls in the luxury crossover class, rates will be substantially more compared to average rates in Honolulu.
Pleasure use saves money - The more miles you rack up on your Volvo annually the higher your rate. Most companies calculate prices based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use receive better premium rates compared to those used for work or business. An improperly rated XC60 may be costing you higher rates. Ask your agent if your insurance declarations sheet states the right rating data.
Save money by raising deductibles - Insurance for physical damage to your car, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your Volvo from damage. Examples of some claims that would be covered would be a windshield shattered by a rock, damage from fire, and burglary. Comp and collision deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The more money you're willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
Volvo XC60 insurance loss statistics - Companies include the past claim history for a vehicle to help set a rate to offset losses. Models that historically have increased losses will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The information below illustrates the historical loss data for Volvo XC60 vehicles. For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is a value of 100. Percentage values below 100 indicate better than average losses, while values that are above 100 indicate more frequent claims or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Volvo XC60 Insurance Claim Statistics
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Volvo XC60 4dr 2WD||79||74||70||60||53||55|
|Volvo XC60 4dr 4WD||93||82||75||66||64||57|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When it comes to choosing a policy for your vehicles, there is no one size fits all plan. Your financial needs are unique so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions might point out whether your personal situation might need an agent's assistance.
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Hawaii?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Am I covered if I hit someone who is not insured?
- Does coverage follow the driver or the vehicle?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Can't I compare prices from local Honolulu car insurance agents?
Some people would prefer to sit down with an agent and that is a personal choice. A good thing about comparing rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheap car insurance rates and still buy from a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, the quote information is sent to agents in your area that can give you free Honolulu car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to drive around as quotes are delivered instantly to you. It's the lowest rates AND an agent nearby. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you would need to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
Choosing the best insurer requires you to look at more than just a cheap price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Honolulu?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- How long have they been in business?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
Pick the best car insurance agent in Honolulu for you
When researching a reliable agent, it helps to know the two different types of agents and how they are slightly different. Agents in Honolulu can be classified as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Exclusive agencies can only place business with one company such as Allstate and State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide other company's prices so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are trained well on their company's products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Honolulu who can help you get rate quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These type of agents can sell policies from many different companies so they have the ability to put coverage with many different companies and find you the best rates. If prices rise, an independent agent can move your coverage which is easy for the insured. If you need lower rates, you need to include rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Listed below are independent insurance agents in Honolulu that are able to give rate quotes.
Buying the right vehicle insurance in Hawaii is an important decision
Despite the potentially high cost of Volvo XC60 insurance, insuring your vehicle is mandatory in Hawaii but it also protects more than you think.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability insurance coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Volvo with a loan, most lenders will require you to buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Volvo at a much higher rate and require you to fork over the higher price.
- Car insurance protects both your car and your assets. It will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses that are the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your Volvo as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially when you need to use it. On average, a vehicle owner in Honolulu overpays more than $750 every year so you should quote and compare rates at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Compare. Compare. Compare.
Lower-priced Volvo XC60 insurance in Honolulu is available online and with local Honolulu insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection. Some companies don't offer rates over the internet and these small, regional companies provide coverage only through independent agents.
While you're price shopping online, it's not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where someone dropped physical damage coverage to discover at claim time they didn't have enough coverage. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
More detailed auto insurance information can be found in the articles below: